2017 was a doozy. I have big ambitious plans for 2018.
First and foremost, I need to square up my money situation.
- Get pay raise
- Pay off all debts
- Start savings (toward house)
- Help Morgan get a good job
- Stretch goal: medium van maintenance projects
- Stretch goal: morse code tattoos
When Bookis and I started Sandstorm, we decided to build a real company, not just a hobby. So, together we’re going to keep iterating on it and try to grow it into our primary focus, not just a side hustle.
- Grow to 50 active users
- Build a JSON API
- Build a CLI
- Stay profitable
Lately I’ve been feeling some regrets about missed career opportunities. Stagnant and listless. So, this year I’m going to invest heavily in my career development and growth.
- Ship improved personal site and resume / portfolio that I’m proud of
- Speak at 1-2 confs
- Get Better at testing in practice
- Get Better at API development
- Learn about containers / Docker / Kubernettes
- Learn Sketch better
- Learn PaintCode
- Learn InVision Studio
- Ship & Iterate Walk Fast, Talk Fast (with Bookis)
- Open PCRR (shhh…) stretch goal
2017 was a real big year for CrimethInc. In 2018, I’d like to finish up a few remaining big technical projects.
- Contradictionary content section on the site
- Site translation infrastructure
- Article translation infrastructure
- Fundraising platform
- /public folder streamlined
- /seeds moved to a db dump to S3 / import script
- Developer onboarding improved and streamlined
- Poster series (stretch goal)
I don’t have cancer anymore which is amazing. This year I want to get more physically fit.
- Weight back down to 130-135 lbs
- Run twice / week (3-5 miles each) - 300–500 miles / year
- Calisthenics crunches / pushups: twice / week
I love traveling. I’ve been to 49 of the 50 United States, only leaving Alaska. I’ve travelled the US fairly extensively. Now, I’d like to travel internationally more.
- European summer / fall speaking tour
- International 1-3 countries
- Confs attend 3
I’ve never build as avid of a reader as I want to be. I have friends that read a book or two per week, but for now I’m aiming for a couple per month for now. I also have a few novels in my brain. I need to start getting those written down.
- Write the adventure novel
- Read 24 books (non-comic)
- Design 1 small Mac app (GrandPerspecive?)
- Add to my forever books library collection
I have a handful of housekeeping tech chores that I’ve put off for too long. It’s time to clear up personal technical debt. Some big, most small.