last night, at scott and b(r)ookis' house i made some curry from a box mix. it was alright, but just alright. so i tried to salvage it by adding in some of my awesome. but it was still... meh. so today gary and i came back to my house after running some errands to eat. and i decided to redeem yellow curry in my mind, so i made some myself. this is how i did it.
now for the record when i say 'recipe', i'm using it very loosely. i prefer to just "wing it" in the kitchen. throwing caution (and recipe books) to the wind. some would say that i have not lost my winging privileges. so with that said, here it is:
- block of tofu cut up into cubes. 1 inch square-ish.
- put that in a little oil in a skillet or wok on medium to high heat.
- while that's going, start getting out the next batch of ingredients:
- milk, soy or coconut
- veggies (corn, potatoes, bell peppers, onions, whatever)
- spices: curry powder, tumeric, spike, onion powder (or minced), garlic powder
- peanut butter, i prefer creamy for this, but crunchy would work too. the natural stuff is better than that shit, JIF, or whatever
- whatever else you want in it
- braggs or soy sauce
- oh yeh! if you want rice with this, start that first, b/c it takes a while
- so then you add in some of your milk almost submerging the tofu. don't worry if it looks a little then. it'll thicken up and cook down.
- go ahead and add your veggies now (remember potatoes will take the longest, so account for that)
- then add in your spices to flavour (tumeric is mainly used to make it yellow). but that's the way spices work. it's not a science, it's an art. do it a little at a time tasting after each go round. remember you can always add more, but you can't take away.
- then when you get the flavour you want (you are actually getting the flavour that you THINK you want).
- now let it simmer and cook down for a few minutes, pushing it around a little so it doesn't stick too much to the bottom of the pan.
- after simmering for awhile all that flavour that you decided on earlier will have been condensed down. it will pack more of a punch.
- and that's that.
- shane's bomb ass yellow curry with tofu.
- but you can claim it as your own and call it : < yournamehere's > super duper awesomeness curry type stuff.
- or whatever.