- I use 110 mesh screens.
- Flat side = the side of the screen that is completely flat.
- Squeegee side = the side of the screen that has the wood frame sticking up.
- Scrub screen with degreaser (red liquid) and soft scrubby on both sides. rinse.
- Dry screens very well, a fan works best.
- Steps 3-12 should be in the dark. Fill metal coater about 1/2 full with emulsion.
- Set either side of coater flat against the bottom of the screen. Start and end about 1 inch from the top and bottom of screen.
- Tip coater so the emulsion is touching the screen. Tip a lot, but don't let the black plastic on the side of the coater to touch the screen.
- Gently pull up.
- Flip screen and repeat 5 and 6 as many times is necessary. 2 should be enough. You must end coating the squeegee side.
- Store with flat side down. You have to set things between the corners and floor so the emulsion doesn't touch the floor.
- Dry in a dust-free environment with a fan. Emulsion says not to store for more than 6 hours without burning.
- Place screen below light (figure out distance from light.) with the flat side up.
- Place image on screen mirrored to what it should look like. Tape down and/or place glass on top of image.
Burn screen. Figure out times and with specific emulsion.
BBA No. 1 Photoflood (250 Watt)
Screen Size Lamp Height Exposure Time 8" x 10" 12 inches 10 minutes 10"x14" 12 inches 10 minutes 12 "x 18" 15 inches 16 minutes 16"x2O" 17 inches 20 minutes 18"x2O" 17 inches 20 minutes
- Wash out with high pressure water. May take a few minutes or 10 but again i've never used that emulsion. Be hasty while the screen is in the light.
- Let dry, fan again is a good idea.
- Place tape on flat side of screen wherever there are pinholes in the emulsion or edges that are close to ink.
- Place in press with flat side down.
- Put plenty of ink on screen. on the side closest to the press, mix it well with the squeegee
- Pull with the squeegee at a slight angle. Test prints are a good idea.
- Get as much ink back in bottle as possible. Clean with ink cleaner.
- After done with the image make sure the screen is very clean. Spray a layer of emulsion remover on both sides of screen, Gently scrub until all emulsion is dissolved.
- Rinse with hose.